Wednesday 27 March 2013

A wonderful whirlwind of a week!!

I appreciate everyone's efforts to keep the blog up to date as we have been experiencing New Taipei City and Taipei. I was having some technical difficulties but now that they are straightened out, I thought I would give a little update of my first week in Taiwan :)

So far, my vocational visits have included: 1) trip to Shu-Lin recycling centre, 2) TzuChi Nei-Hu recycling centre, 3) a trip to the Bali incineration plant (also called the Taipei university of tech Eco building), and the 4) TzuChi hospital. Not to mention all of the amazing activities we have participated in as a team which include: the presidential hall, taipei 101, SanXia ancestral temple, old street in SanXia, the Da-Han river constructed wetland, etc.... And all of the amazing rotary gatherings!!

I have found that everywhere I have visited has provided me with further insight into how the Taiwanese respect the need to consider each other and the environment into decision making and development processes. For example, to offset the negative opinions and emotions regarding the Bali Incineration Plant, the developer included the local community in the process from the very start. They have done local clean ups of the community, environmental restoration work, and have even built a recreation centre there. Very impressive! That's just one example!!

I have found the Taiwanese to be very kind and dedicated. The organization that I have been so lucky to be learning about, TzuChi, could not operate without the hardwork of volunteers. When I visited the TzuChi recycling centre, the facility was fully functioning because of them with about 40 volunteers (based on my estimation) present that day! Not to mention my host families who have been sooo thoughtful an generous making sure I have everything I need and taking me where I need to go everyday!

I can not even count the number of new friends I have made in just 7 days. I am so blessed to be here in Taiwan surrounded by such great people! The people we meet have been so warm and accepting and the team is really getting to know each other... We even have some nice nicknames picked out for each of us! Of course we miss everyone at home but you can all rest assured that we are in good hands :)

Bye for now! Zaijian!

Laura

































1 comment:

  1. The stories and the photos are fabulous! Keep them coming!

    ReplyDelete